2237-03-31 - Escaping the Barn

The pilots try to break out of the little barn of horrors.

Date: 2237-03-31

Location: Isabel Island

Related Scenes: None

Plot: Operation: Jungle Fever

Scene Number: 733

Jump to End

The poor saps from the other cell seem to be the first ones picked to be guinea pigs. On the up side, the screams were mercifully brief. On the down side... screams. Two distinct ones, which probably means there's at least one other person still on the other side of the wall.

Webb woke up at some point, dazed but not badly injured from the knock on the head. It didn't take him long to start back in on his attempts to work the chains loose from the wall, but for now he's taking a breather. "Anybody got any brilliant ideas?" he wonders in a mumble.

Eva, for her part, has not been trying to tug the shackles free from the wall. She knows she doesn't have the strength for that. Instead, she's been working relentlessly at trying to work her hands free from the shackles, which really means she's been scraping her wrists and hands against the metal well past the point where the skin is just abraded, she's literally working flesh off. Like the worst rug burn ever. She hasn't spoken more than a few words, the clench of her jaw and the need to keep silent sapping all of her strength to do anything more than not scream at the pain she's inflicting on herself.

"Keep trying to break the chains? I'm pretty sure I heard one of the links creak at some point there..." Finn offers helpfully. His attitude at least has shifted from defeated to modestly defiant once more." Farm Boy for his part, didn't have a better plan, so he also tries to wrench his chains loose. The screams don't help any to keep him from trying to yank at the chains just a bit harder when they come.

Eva rolls Composure: Good Success (8 8 7 5 5 1 1)

"Frakking..." Webb mumbles under his breath at the chains, sweat beading on his forehead from the effort. "This is where I'd secretly hoped you had a wayward youth spent picking locks on the barn, O'Day." Nevermind that barns probably don't have locks. He's just being a smartass.

Eva's efforts prove to be more fruitful than the boys' though, as one of her hands pops free from the shackle.

"We didn't have time for lock pickin, too busy workin!" Finn grunts out as he tries applying leverage, pulling the chains over his shoulder and planting a foot against the wall behind him trying to push off and see if that works. Probably not going to work so well, since he is not a cylon. Still, worth a shot, and so he heaves as he pushes off!

Eva can't help it, as her hand pops free, she gives a sharp squeak of pain, hand trying to react fast enough not to let the now dangling chain hit the wall and cause her jailers to come to see that's going on.

Eva rolls Reflexes: Success (8 6 4 3 3 1)
Finn rolls Athletics: Good Success (8 7 7 6 1 1)
Webb rolls Athletics: Success (6 6 5 4 1 1 1)

"Hah - good on you, Thorne," Webb says with a gleeful little smile when Eva gets her hand free. And then Finn also manages to crack the board that the chains are bolted to. His hands are both still chained, but with one more determined yank he ought to be able to pull the bolt free. "Frak me, now I feel like the slow one." Webb tries the same trick Finn did, but he isn't able to do it. Then his eyes widen. "Hell, watch out."

Whether it was Eva's muffled cry or the whispering or the snap of the board, something seems to have attracted the attention of one of the worker-Cylons, who comes into the stall to investigate just as Finn gets the chain off the wall.

Finn rolls Melee: Good Success (8 6 6 5 4 4 3)
Eva rolls Athletics: Good Success (8 8 7 6 1)

Eva doesn't look at Webb, as she's trying now, to get her second hand free, but she does offer a 'frak me', in response. Now that she has only one shackle to work with, she can put more of her weight into pulling, almost throwing herself away from the shackle, as if to use all of her body weight in the effort. Which might work, or might dislocate her shoulder, who knows.

Finn is nearly on the ground after wrenching his chains free. And then the cylon is coming around the corner. Not really hesitating in any meaningful way he rushes on the Cylon bringing the chains and piece of wall with him. He whips his arms around once and then over his head, causing the chains and the board to smash down into the Cylon's cranium before it can do anything violent. It jerks and stumbles, and sparks and them slumps down. "We need to move, quick!" He turns and moves over to Webb, grabbing on to his chains as well to help him break free, "On three, let's get you out of here too..."

"Good on ya, O'Day," Webb praises when the Cylon goes down in a shower of sparks. There's an ominous clattering sound that they're probably familiar with - more Cylons coming their way. When Eva's chain doesn't break immediately, Webb waves Finn off. "Help Thorne and get the frak out of here."

Eva will probably end up with the mother of all scarification around her wrists, but hey, isn't that all the rage on some of the colonies? She puts all of her weight behind her tug, and with all of the noise of the cylon going down, her scream, which is now impossible to hide, only adds to the confusion. But she does get free, "We don't leave anyone behind."

Eva rolls Athletics: Success (7 7 4 2 2)
Webb rolls Athletics: Success (7 6 4 3 2 2 1)
Finn rolls Athletics: Good Success (7 7 7 5 3 2)

With all three of them straining against the chains, there's a CRACK! and the bolt holding the CAG's chains to the wall rips free. And not a moment too soon, as a Centurion armed with an assault rifle appears in the entrance of the stall. Webb launches himself at the Centurion's arm, trying to wrap up the gun in his chain and pull it away from the others, hoping they'll take it down.

Webb rolls Melee: Success (7 5 3 3 1 1)
Eva rolls Melee: Good Success (8 7 6 6)
Finn rolls Melee: Success (6 5 5 5 2 2 1)
Webb rolls 6: Good Success (8 8 8 6 5 4 4 4 3 1 1)

Finn grunts as he helps pull Webb free of his restraints and stumbles back a few steps. He sees the assault rifle of the next Cylon and swings at the things hit. The wood collides with the metal skull but does nothing else of meaning. Finn grumbles and then bumrushes at the Cylons legs, trying to wrap his chains around them to bring the stupid clanker down.

Eva might be free, so that's a bonus, but that leaves her with no weapon, such as Finn or Webb now have, so she has to improvise. Ever the wingman, she moves to give Finn the assist. As he dives for the Cylon's legs, she reaches for the thing to put her weight into trying to grab it by the arm, neck, whatever she can reach and bear it down. Who knows, that extra weight might come in handy.

Webb rolls Melee: Good Success (8 8 7 2 1 1)
Finn rolls Melee: Good Success (8 7 6 4 3 2 2)
Eva rolls Melee: Good Success (8 7 6 5)
Webb rolls 4: Good Success (8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1)

The rifle goes off harmlessly as everyone wrestles with the Cylon. As Eva and Finn tackle the Cylon, Webb gets enough leverage to twist the rifle from the Centurion's hands. He brings it around and blasts a short burst into the thing's head. The Cylon slumps but a second one comes around and shoots Webb in the arm and chest. The CAG shouts in pain and his rifle droops - ready for the taking by one of the others.

Eva manages not to get herself so tangled in the cylon that she can't get free, as it comes down. There's no time to react to Webb getting shot, not in the lamentation sort of way, only enough time to make a grab for the rifle and take aim and fire at the second cylon. She'll trust Finn to back her play and get their man down.

This Cylon is down and then Webb is shot a moment later. Finn doesn't move the for the rifle. Eva's always been a better shot than him so instead he once more lunges at the shooting cylon, once more wielding his chains and plank like a flail and whipping it around at the Cylon before he moves towards Webb to start hoisting him up

Finn rolls Melee: Success (7 6 5 4 2 1 1)
Eva rolls Firearms: Success (7 6 5 5 4 4 3 2 1)

Finn's chain-plank-thing doesn't do much damage, but it sure seems to be a good distraction, enough that the Cylon's return fire goes wide. The far wall of the barn is peppered with bullets, but nobody's hit. Webb doesn't contribute much, groaning while slumped against the wall. And then Eva manages to finish off the Centurion with two quick bursts to the chest and head. It topples, and the barn falls quiet. There's another weapon for the taking - this one a LMG. One crewman is still chained up in the other stall, yelling, "Hey, help!" when the shooting dies down. The others are in various stages of ... yuck... on the tables, either dead already or clearly beyond help.

Eva moves as the second cylon falls, and she grabs for this gun as well. "Get him out." That's all she says to Finn, before she dashes off to try to get the crewman free. She'll switch to the LMG, because hell, it's not like the cylons outside, if they are outside, haven't heard the gunfire, and she hands the rifle off to Finn. Once she's close enough to the crewman, she'll attempt to aim for the plank close to his hand, to splinter it so he can pull free.

With the last Cylon down, Finn is already next to Webb, checking the bullet wounds as best as his all but nonexistent medical ability allows. Outside of the field basics from training, he doesn't really know much. Finn looks to Cherry and nods to her, "Working on it!" And he takes the rifle she gives him, though he sets it down while he works on getting Webb up, "Can you walk, sir?"

It's always touch and go with a gunshot to the chest, but Webb is doing all right for now. He groans though as Finn helps him up. "Sure as frak not staying here," he grunts, leaning on the other pilot as they start heading out. The other crewman is a deckie, who's overjoyed to see Eva. "Oh thank the Gods, sir," he breathes.

Finn rolls Medicine: Success (7 5 3 1)
Eva rolls Firearms: Good Success (8 8 6 2 2 1 1 1 1)

Eva knows the need for speed, but she also knows that she doesn't want to leave the deckie with no hands, and so she takes care as she lets loose a burst of gunfire at the plant. The wood is old enough, and decayed enough, she hopes, that it should only take that burst to weaken it enough to allow the crewman to pull free, and she'll help if she needs to. Eva might not be particularly religious, but there is that moment of prayer as she leaves Finn and Webb in their hands.

Finn finishes helping Webb to his feet and he takes several moments to arrange the chains so they aren't in the way. He can get them off later when they have escaped. For now, he picks up the rifle, holding it in his right hand as he starts to help Webb maneuver towards the exit.

The deckie probably says a few prayers of his own, closing his eyes like Jack on Titanic when Eva shoots the wall out. "Yes!!" he cheers when he still has his hands, and - added bonus - is able to pull the bolt free. His eyes bug out when he emerges from the stall and sees what's become of the poor people he was so recently chained up with. Sick experiments involving machinery and body parts, and Gods know what else. They don't really have time to take notes, nor would they probably want to.

They make it outside, but are set upon by two more Centurions who were with the truck. Between Eva and Finn, they manage to take one down, and have started to damage the second when it starts being hit from a completely different direction. From the jungle, in fact. And then it topples.

Eva wastes no time, and grabs the deckie, proceeding to haul tail out of the barn, trying to catch up with Finn and Webb to give them cover to get clear and hopefully safely away. The first cylon they manage, but the second just won't go down. So when the gunfire comes from the trees, one might expect Eva to be glad, but instead, she continues to urge the small group, if she can onward, "We've got to get to cover, or get to the truck." Which might be useless if there are no keys.

"The truck, let's move it." Finn calls out to the others, nodding to Eva. He stops to put out some cover fire, just in case, and then he continues towards the truck. A glance to the deckie and he says, "Get the CAG over to the truck! I'm gonna see if I can get it started." Even if there are no keys, he might be able to hotwire it and get it running.

Finn rolls Technician: Success (7 7 5 3 2 2 1)

There are indeed no keys in the truck. Maybe the worker bot took them or something - who knows. As the deckie helps a groaning Webb up into the truck and Finn starts hotwiring it, a couple uniformed figures emerge from the jungle, and a familiar voice calls out, "Thorne? That you?" It's Major Ryan.

Eva remains in the guard position, eyes scanning for approaching targets. No cylons, so that's a positive, but still movement. In her current state, perhaps she can be forgiven for not lowering her weapon as her XO and his plus one approach, "Thorne here." She doesn't address him as sir. No painting a target on his back for Eva, but she slaps the body of the truck, a hurry up signal to Finn.

Until they are totally sure that they have a way out, Finn continues to work on hotwiring the truck. When the hurry up signal comes, Finn does just that, working his best on getting it started up. "How we doin' out there??" he calls out.

Finn rolls Technician: Great Success (8 7 7 6 6 2 1)

No more Cylons appear. "Well aren't you a sight for sore eyes," calls the XO, continuing to move closer. Ryan has a rifle at the ready, as does his plus-one. He quick-marches down to where they're at, coming into conversation range. "Barn secure?" Assuming an affirmative, he says, "Ditch the truck and come with us, unless you've got someplace you're planning on driving in that thing."

Eva lifts her voice, in answer to Finn's question, "It's Mace." Because she's still not addressing him by rank, damnit. Not in enemy territory. "The barn is a damned abattoir, we're the only ones left alive. Farmboy's with me, Gelman, deck, and Spider, he's been shot. Haven't had a chance to check on his condition." She doesn't look away from the XO, but she does call up to Finn, "Can you get Webb down?" In answer to Ryan's question, "Just out of here, but if you have a better idea, I'm with you, Mace."

Dammit. Finn had just gotten the engine to roar to life too. He looks out the window of the truck at Ryan and then sighs and just leaves the truck running as he gets out, "Good timing." He starts to help Webb out of the truck after that, looking to Cherry, still holding the rifle in one handle, "Webb'll make it to the ship, but he's taken a couple to the chest, we are on borrowed time right now." Future career, field medic. For those who want to die horribly. "Whatever we're doin', let's get to it, quick."

"Ship? If only," Ryan comments with a grim look at the wounded CAG. "We've got a camp, let's get the hell out of here before more of those bastards show up." He makes a hand motion for them to follow and leads the way back into the jungle in the direction he and plus-one came from.


Tags:

Back to Scenes