2237-05-13 - What Lurks Beneath

A medevac extraction goes awry when the marines run into the Cylons' latest freakish experiment.

Date: 2237-05-13

Location: Kannur Province Canceron

Related Scenes: None

Plot: Operation: Mission of Mercy

Scene Number: 763

Jump to End

The marines have had a busy day as the offensive against Cylon territory continues. Lyn's squad was sent in to hit a pocket of Cylon ground troops. They got pretty chewed up and had to pull back. A medevac Raptor was called in to get the wounded - one KIA and two pretty bad off. The rendezvous point is in a clearing along one of the many streams criss-crossing the area. The medevac is also carrying some reinforcements to shore up the squad so the remaining troops can head back into action.

Tavo is good with duty babysitting medevac teams. It means he's close to the medics when something inevitably goes wrong. Unfortunately, it means riding around in a Raptor instead of his own two feet. He crouches inside the door of the Raptor, clasping onto a grab-bar with his left hand and controlling the SAW slung at his side with his right hand. "I didn't hear the call, Doc, how bad do they have it? Hot LZ, or just warm?" ie, is the landing zone under-fire, or just in a threatened area. The chance that it might be an entirely cold LZ just doesn't enter into Tavo's thought process. That would be far too easy.

Sergeant Lyn Arda is in her tactical gear, with her rifle clutched in her hands. She has bootblack on her face in a camo pattern, but it's smeared with dirt and blood, which may or may not be her own. Her face is set in a stone cold mask as she creeps forward through the trees, using hand signals to beckon the rest of the battered squad forward bit by bit. The progress is slow, as the Ghost is cautious to the extreme. She wants to get these people out alive, if possible.

The recon Marine pauses, holding her hand up in a closed fist for a full stop. Lyn moves ahead a few metrons alone, trying to effectively disappear into the terrain, watching and listening for any sign of a Cylon presence between them evac Raptor. She peers out across the stream, towards the clearing.

"Just warm last I heard," Cate replies off-hand. She seems tired - probably didn't get much (if any) sleep last night between the mission and sickbay. But she's here, ready to do her duty. Her medic pack is on her back, and she's holding onto one of the brace posts as the Raptor heads for the landing zone.

Apparently the Timber Wolves put in the request for more Marines 'Send more Giants'. Because as the others are discussing the situation, Remington is thumbing the last of his shells into the magazine to load into the rifle after giving them a quick check over. The Corporal lifts his head to the conversation to hear the status of the drop zone, before he gives a short nod of his head and prepares for deployment, a quick glance around the cramped quarters with a small grunt.

Rothschild rolls Composure: Good Success (8 8 7 7 5 5 5 3 3 2 1 1)

Aldrich always looks a little weird going into potentially hostile territory. Maybe it's the way the helmet sits on his skinny head. Or maybe it's just because he's more normally seen in the chapel... But here he is, waiting with Cate and Tavo as they fly in. He's silent for now, probably concentrating on the task ahead.

Eudora L. Rothschild has been here once before -- one glorified moment in the districts of Luminere on Leonis that became the track switch to her career. She's not been in her battle dress uniform in over a year, and the woodland camo is the most down-dressed she's been in that same length of time. No red lips or perfectly pinned curls, no perfectly pressed dress uniform, every bit camera ready. But, part of her falls into routine with some ease, and if she has any bubbling nerves for her first action in the field since Trenoir, she hides it well beneath the well-composed demeanor of the Praetorian -- a nearly separate persona from the nobleborn woman named Rothschild. Weapon prepared, checked once (no double-checking here), and tactical armor given one last tug into place over her sturdy frame, the gunner looks more than prepared for the initial hit to the drop zone.

Gustavo nods at Cate's response, then looks to the rest of the Marines crammed into the Raptor, "You're all professionals, you know what to do." And then he proceeds to tell them exactly what to do, "As soon as we're down, unass this flying deathtrap as fast as you can without running into anybody. Stay low and to your right, my covering fire will be on your left." He gives his loaded mag a thump with the heel of his hand, just to make sure that it's seated right.

And finally, or not finally, but rounding out the team, is another new member to the Wolves, as Abigail checks her rifle. She's wearing armor, but in a different configuration than might be standard. The sort that allows a bit more ground movement, and has some pointed segments. It's EOD gear, the under armor, not the larger, bulkier stuff. That's tucked away in the raptor still. "Thanks, Sarge."

Cate baps Gustavo on the back of his flak vest. "Thought we were all professionals. What's with the gunner-splaining?" Maybe her callsign this mission should be Grumpy instead of Doc. She glances over to Aldrich then. "You saying some prayers for us?"

Remi rolls Alertness: Success (8 6 4 4 3 2 1)

Remi rolls Composure: Good Success (8 8 6 5 4 3 2 1 1)

Lyn returns to the group of wounded soldiers and hunkers down. She grabs a stick and uses it to draw out a map of the terrain ahead, the stream, and the clearing. She whispers to them softly, "We move in to the edge of the treeline until the bird is down and the troops on board disembark to give us cover fire. Then we haul ass best we can to that Raptor and get all of you home for dinner, got it?"

As Rothschild looks over, Remi's eyes widen for just a moment, but he manages to keep most of his cool, though he grabs Abigail's wrist as he leans in, and murmurs to the Staff Sergeant. "...is that.. it is. That's Sergeant Rothschild, the Saviour of Luminere. She held out against a whole battalion of Cylons at a school." With armor and ammo. Which is much cooler than a desperate fight in the depths of a dying moon as atmosphere was a commodity. "She's down by the foot locker." Her picture, in the bunk that is.

Aldrich blinks and glances back to Cate, then gives her a mild little smile. "Always," he replies, then clears his throat a little. "And an extra one for the wounded." He starts to double check his own gear, making sure everything is set. It's probably not needed, because he's persnickety like that, but it never hurts to triple... quadruple check.

The Raptor engines kick up dirt and loose vegetation and ripple the water in the stream as it touches down on the grass in the clearing. The clearing is actually located across the stream from the incoming squad, so they'll have to wade across to get to the ship. As soon as the bird touches down, the ECO opens the hatch. So far the coast looks clear.

Tavo probably doesn't need to rock forward under Cate's smack, but he does it anyway, bracing his shoulder against the grab bar and rolling back up to his crouch, "Because then nobody has to feel silly and ask." Beat pause, "And because then nobody walks into my line of fire. I get chewed out when that happens, and that's just not fair." And then he nods toward Abigail, evidently taking her thanks as sincere, "And that's why." As the Raptor hatch opens, Tavo hauls himself to his feet, staying tucked into the corner of the doorway and bringing his left hand up to the foregrip of his SAW, raising the weapon and tucking the butt into his shoulder.

"Good. Maybe they'll listen," Cate replies to Aldrich. Gustavo gets a little snort with his reply, then the Raptor is landing and Cate is picking up the foldable stretcher they brought with them. She's got her sidearm, but no rifle this time around.

The other marines in the wounded squad nod to Lyn. Watching the Raptor land, they ready themselves to carry their injured compatriots.

Abigail grins, as Remi reaches out to grab her arm, an she looks down the way at the brunette bombshell. "See...now that was a good choice. I am so with you." Of course, she's also reaching out to brace herself, as the raptor touches down, and that distracts, "If we need to clear the area, I'll go in the lead."

Lyn checks the magazine on her rifle and grunts at the two walking wounded. "Get ready. You two carry him," she gestures to the KIA, "I'll be cover fire. Move as fast as you can to the support crew. They'll get you on board. Careful wading through the stream. Move out." She leads the way, moving as quickly and as quietly as she can, knowing the stumblings and crashings of non-recon trained soldiers in different states of wounded probably sounds like an angry herd of moose crashing through the trees. When she reaches the treeline, she crouches down and raises the rifle to her shoulder, using the scope to sweep over the stream and the edges of the clearing carefully. She spots the crew, and tries to use the light on her rifle in brief flashes to indicate their position to the Wolves.

"Here's hoping," Aldrich answers back, then climbs to his feet to join the crew exiting the Raptor. He sticks close to Cate, for now, since he'll be taking cues from her regarding medical stuff.

If Rothschild catches Remi's reaction, she barely reacts beyond glancing his way, and then to the rest of the reinforcements. She looks over toward Tavo at his good-natured complaints, and the woman offers the kind of smile that is barely on her lips, but gently raises one brow and sends a dash of amusement across her brown eyes. "So much that could be said, but... alas." Then the Leonese woman is on her feet, drawing her own weapon in close against her body and holding it up into the sturdy nook of her shoulder. She nods to Abigail and Remi. "Alright, darlings." There's that little smile again. "Shall we see to our friends?"

Releasing the arm, Remi remembers to compose himself as the large man rises and glances towards Cate. "Need help hauling anyone out, I can assist." he offers to the Corporal as he moves to disembark the Raptor with the others, a look towards Abigail for a moment as he moves to stand.

Cate rolls Alertness: Great Success (8 8 7 6 6 1 1)

Lyn rolls Alertness: Great Success (8 8 7 6 6 4 4 3 2 1)

Remi rolls Alertness: Good Success (7 7 6 5 4 2 1)

Abigail rolls Alertness: Good Success (7 7 6 6 4 2 1 1)

Aldrich rolls Alertness: Good Success (8 6 6 5 5 4 1 1)

Rothschild rolls Alertness: Success (6 5 5 4 3 2 1)

Gustavo rolls Alertness: Great Success (8 6 6 6 6 2 1)

Cate gives Rothschild an odd look over her shoulder as she climbs out the hatch and down the Raptor wing. She nods to Remi. "Good deal."

Lyn sees a flash of movement further back in the jungle, the way they'd come from. Fair guess that it's Cylon pursuit. Martinez, Rooker and Walker heft their wounded comrades back up into fireman carries and start heading across the stream. They're about halfway across when the shit hits the fan.

A fast-moving shape - long and almost snake-like - darts through the water towards Walker, who's in the lead. Gustavo and Cate see it, but it's going so fast that they barely have time to wonder 'what the hell is that' before Walker screams in pain and falls into the water, dropping whomever was on his shoulder. He immediately begins thrashing and splashing.

"What can I say, Pretty? I'm a giver." Tavo's eyes twitch over to the flashing light, "I've got light at eleven o'clock. Friendlies incoming." He waits, scanning the terrain for any other movement, and then it all happens at once. Walker is already screaming and falling when Tavo calls out, "Contact! Contact! In the water!" He doesn't fire, however, knowing that if it's not a Cylon, his bullets are liable to punch right through it and into Walker.

"Frakfrakfrak!" Lyn hisses under her breath as she spots movement back in the jungle. She keeps her back to the clearing, her eyes moving constantly, trying to get a bead on the machines tailing them. She clicks her comm on, now that the bird is on the ground. "Evac, be advised, we have toasters coming in behind us in pursuit!" She raises her rifle to lay down suppressor fire in their wake, trying to buy the others time.

When there's the call on contact, Remi doesn't fire, instead as Walker and his wounded companion disappear into the water, the large Marine shoulders his rifle and moves out into the muck in a dead run to try to grab a hold of either Marine and try to pull them from the muck and the creature. Or whatever it is. If the Cylons have tentacle monsters now...

As the call comes, and the screaming starts, Abigail moves into position, moving into position to provide covering fire. She's no shooting ace, so she uses the skill she has in the best way she knows how.

Aldrich half-ducks at the screaming, his eyes widening as he takes a moment to figure out what is going on. It still takes a moment to figure it out, and when he realizes, he mutters something under his breath, followed by, "Something in the water? Gods above..."

Cate blinks as Walker goes down. "What the frak was that?" she asks of nobody in particular. Now there's one unconscious marine probably drowning underwater and poor Walker being attacked by... whatever the hell that thing is. Cate draws her pistol and drops the stretcher. She moves over to the edge of the water, trying to get a better handle on what's going on and what can be done about it.

Rothschild hears the splash and her gaze looks quickly to see who is seeing to that bit of trouble, but that is not her focus. Instead, she is moving into the opposite jam of Tavo, and her brown eyes lock on the surrounding trees. Her gaze flickers once to Remi as he heads to Walker, but otherwise she is keeping her focus on the surrounding area while others see to the water creature. The woman waits.

Lyn suppresses Cent1 with Rifle+Ap and succeeds.

Abigail suppresses Cent1 with Rifle+Ap and succeeds.

Rothschild rolls Alertness: Success (6 4 3 3 2 1 1)

Those near the water can see that Walker is wrestling with what looks to be a man-sized snake, its body bigger than Remi's thighs. Walker is yelling indecipherable cries, presumably for help, as he struggles in the water.

Then a second snake strikes - this one launching itself out of the water to hit Rooker. Blood can be seen on Rooker's shoulder before he splashes into the water. Razor-sharp fangs on the snake's jaws are briefly visible before it goes after him underwater. The guy Rooker was carrying also goes down.

Martinez manages to make it across the stream safely, depositing his wounded squadmate on the opposite bank and the unslinging his rifle. "We've gotta get those frakking things off them!"

Meanwhile, back in the woods, two more Centurions become visible. As the marines open fire, they return it.

The snake, for reference (this one is black though, not white):

[[=image https://img04.deviantart.net/9bc5/i/2012/350/5/4/cython_01_sculpt__blood_and_chrome_by_zeustoves-d5nmgjn.jpg width="400px"]]

Abigail, when it was only one centurian, might have considered only covering fire. But with the team moving into the water, and the team in the water fighting with...whatever it is, she turns her attention to actually trying to attack one of the incoming cylons.

Cate stares wide-eyed at the fracas in the water for a few moments before she gulps and sloshes into the water towards Walker, trying to get a hold of him and/or the snake to stop it thrashing enough to get a clear shot with her pistol.

"It's 'Praety,' by the way, Sergeant," says Rothschild to Tavo, stressing the syllables so it sounds more like 'pray-tee'. "I know I'm quite pretty without that having to be my nickname." She gives him an oblique look before she resumes that whisper of a smile. Then she spots the glint and her eyes immediately focus on the Centurions that start coming into view. She edges out a step, keeping her weapon braced into her shoulder. Even though Remi is already on it, she reiterates with a clear and precise, "Pull them out of the water!" Because, naturally, most things that live in the water don't like leaving the water, therefore, remove Walker and his companion from the water, and most of that problem is solved. Unless we're dealing with something more amphibious...

The suppressor fire only bought them a brief few moments. "I've got one, no three, THREE Cylons heading for the evac site!" Lyn barks over her earpiece. "What is going on back there!?" She can hear the screaming and splashing, but she needs to keep the toasters off them. Whatever trouble the local wildlife is causing, she's more concerned about being blasted into oblivion by the enemy. She crouches and sets her sights on one of the metal monsters, the first one that she'd spotted, and lets out a breath, squeezing off a round.

As another of those snake-things leaps out of the water and a pair of Centurions appears in the treeline, Tavo flashes a glance across to his fellow gunner still in the doorway of the Raptor, "Sorry, thought it was the accent. Moving up." Before he does, however, he fires off a low, chattering burst toward the Cylons in the treeline, wincing as the recoil jars his still-healing arm. And then he's stepping out of the Raptor, advancing at a steady walk toward the fracas at the water.

Once he pulls one of the wounded away fro the water, Remi turns back to look at Rothschild. "That's what I'm trying for!" the large corporal snaps before he yanks a grenade from his belt. "Frakking snakes!" he calls out, pulling the pin from the grenade to heave it in the water away from the snake slaughter and into the water to force a concussion blast to try to make the snakes let go.

Remi rolls Athletics: Good Success (7 7 6 6 5 4 4 4 3 3 1)

Aldrich snaps out of his shock after a second, with bullets already firing, and jumps forward to Cate's side, then a few paces to the left to get away from her. The reason becomes clear as he starts stomping loudly on the bank, and then carefully points the pistol toward the water and fires. He's not making any effort to actually /hit/ anything. His aim isn't good enough to miss the people being attacked. The tactic seems to be to distract the snakes enough to give Cate a clean shot. "Oi, scaly bastards! Up here!"

Abigail waits, patiently, not allowing the sounds rising from the water to distract her, keeping her focus narrowed on to the oncoming enemy.

Lyn attacks Cent1 with Rifle+Ap and HITS! Graze wound to Chest. (Reduced by ARMOR)

Rothschild fires full-auto!

Rothschild attacks Cent1 with Lmg+Ap and HITS! Flesh Wound wound to Chest. (Reduced by ARMOR)

Rothschild attacks Cent1 with Lmg+Ap but MISSES!

Rothschild attacks Cent1 with Lmg+Ap. Stopped by ARMOR on Chest.

Rothschild attacks Cent2 with Lmg+Ap and HITS! Incapacitated wound to Chest. (Reduced by ARMOR)

Rothschild attacks Cent2 with Lmg+Ap but MISSES!

Rothschild attacks Cent2 with Lmg+Ap but MISSES!

Gustavo fires full-auto!

Gustavo attacks Cent3 with Lmg+Ap and HITS! Impaired wound to Right Arm. (Reduced by ARMOR)

Gustavo attacks Cent3 with Lmg+Ap and HITS! Flesh Wound wound to Chest. (Reduced by ARMOR)

Gustavo attacks Cent3 with Lmg+Ap and HITS! Graze wound to Chest. (Reduced by ARMOR)

Gustavo attacks Cent2 with Lmg+Ap but MISSES!

Gustavo attacks Cent2 with Lmg+Ap and HITS! Flesh Wound wound to Chest. (Reduced by ARMOR)

Gustavo attacks Cent2 with Lmg+Ap but MISSES!

Cent1 attacks Lyn with Lmg+Tripod but MISSES!

Abigail fires a burst!

Abigail attacks Cent3 with Rifle+Ap and HITS! Impaired wound to Chest. (Reduced by ARMOR)

Abigail attacks Cent3 with Rifle+Ap. Stopped by ARMOR on Abdomen.

Abigail attacks Cent3 with Rifle+Ap but MISSES!

Cent3 attacks Gustavo with Rifle+Ap. Stopped by ARMOR on Abdomen.

Cent2 attacks Abigail with Lmg but MISSES!

// Cent3 has been KO'd!//

Cate rolls Pistol (5 2 1 1 1) vs Snake (a NPC)'s 6 (8 6 5 4 3 3 3 2)

Crushing Victory for Snake.

Abigail is relatively safe, behind her cover, and it helps that she's actually firing at the same target as the big gunner, because between the two of them, mostly him, they take down one of the centurians. No time for celebration, as she shifts her attention to the next closest arget.

Lyn grunts as her shot merely grazes the metallic chest of the Cylon, then grins morbidly when a shot from the evac crew follows suit and also hits it. But even better is watching one of the other toasters go down for the count. "Great shot, whoever that was! One down! Two to go!" She draws down on the same Centurion she'd grazes, crouching just in time for its return fire to soar through the spot her head had just been. She returns fire with gritted teeth.

"And I thought you were just being charming." Rothschild sets in her heels as she focuses on two of the incoming Centurions. She releases her first burst with the sharp rattatat of the SAW, and for just a heartbeat, her mind flashes backwards to the sound of shattering glass. Yes, it has been too long.

One of the Centurions topples from the hail of gunfire going down-range. Their return fire is less than effective. In the water, things aren't going quite so well. Remi's grenade goes off, making a big boom and a bigger splash further downstream, and Aldrich fires his pistol, but the snakes seem rather single-minded on the attack. Martinez wades out to help pull out the guy Rooker dropped, taking a shot at the snake on Rooker himself as he does so. He misses, but fortunately doesn't hit Rooker in the process.

Cate gets a hold of Walker and the other snake and fires her pistol, but instead of actually hurting it, it just seems to have gotten the snake's attention. The snake lunges at her, fangs flashing, and 'tackles' (for lack of a better word) the medic into the stream.

Walker is free now, but he's a bloody mess and barely conscious, turning the water around him red from a half-dozen bites.

Tavo's hand-loaded magazine of AP ammo punches right through Cylon armor, where basic ball rounds had been sparking off. That's enough to draw a tight smile to his lips... one that's wiped off his face as he takes a round right in the gut. The impact stops his advance, and wrings a grunt of pain from him... but there's no blood, no puncture, no through and through. Just a blunted round stuck in his flak jacket. "I wasn't issued charming." There's a bit of a wheeze to the response. "Put enough rounds down-range, you can't tell who hit the thing." That might be a response to Lyn's praise. He shifts his fire to just a single Centurion as he resumes his advance toward the water's edge, half-ducking a moment at the explosion of the grenade.

"Frak me!" Remi says and moves forward, leaving the wounded he was helping on the shore as he draws his blade and lunges at the snake trying to steal the medic away, looking to go into a all out brawl with the creature to let Cate go.

"Cate!" Oh look, apparently Aldrich is not totally unbiased in his reactions. In fact, he gets a horrified look as Cate is tackled, and without further hesitation, he wades out into the water. He pulls his pistol up to take aim at the snake, and then Remi lunges in, and Aldrich growls. "Frakkin..." He refrains from shooting for fear of hitting Remi or one of the other wounded, and instead he lunges for Walker to drag him free of the water.

Rothschild offers the most ladylike snort ever snorted -- as only a Leonese can. "And here I thought that all Scorpians came with charm to the chin." She catches the wheeze, but there is nothing to be said about that. She'll worry when it becomes a gurgle. The explosion from the grenade distracts her, and her focus on multiple targets drops to just one as the river-water rains down from the blast.

Remi rolls Melee+3 (8 8 8 7 7 6 6 5 4 2 2 1 1) vs snake (a NPC)'s 6 (8 8 8 7 6 6 5 1)

Marginal Victory for remi.

Cate rolls Firearms (8 6 5 5 3 2 2) vs Snake (a NPC)'s 6 (8 6 5 5 4 3 2 1)

DRAW!

Cate rolls Melee (7 6 4 3 3 1) vs Snake (a NPC)'s 6 (7 6 4 4 4 4 1 1)

DRAW!

Lyn attacks Cent1 with Rifle+Ap and HITS! Impaired wound to Abdomen. (Reduced by ARMOR)

Abigail fires a burst!

Abigail attacks Cent2 with Rifle+Ap and HITS! Flesh Wound wound to Right Arm. (Reduced by ARMOR)

Abigail attacks Cent2 with Rifle+Ap and HITS! Incapacitated wound to Head.

Abigail attacks Cent2 with Rifle+Ap and HITS! Graze wound to Chest. (Reduced by ARMOR)

Gustavo fires a burst!

Gustavo attacks Cent1 with Lmg+Ap and HITS! Flesh Wound wound to Chest.

Gustavo attacks Cent1 with Lmg+Ap and HITS! Incapacitated wound to Head.

Gustavo attacks Cent1 with Lmg+Ap and HITS! Flesh Wound wound to Chest. (Reduced by ARMOR)

Cent1 attacks Lyn with Lmg+Tripod but MISSES!

Rothschild fires a burst!

Rothschild attacks Cent2 with Lmg+Ap but MISSES!

Rothschild attacks Cent2 with Lmg+Ap and HITS! Impaired wound to Chest.

Rothschild attacks Cent2 with Lmg+Ap but MISSES!

Cent2 attacks Abigail with Lmg but MISSES!

// Cent1 has been KO'd!//

// Cent2 has been KO'd!//

Lyn rolls Firearms+3 (8 8 7 6 6 5 4 4 3 2 1) vs Snake (a NPC)'s 6 (8 6 6 5 4 4 3 2)

Victory for Lyn.

Remi manages to slash at the snake, which rears back a bit. Cate gets off one more shot with her pistol before switching tactics to use the pistol more like a wedge to try and keep those razor-like jaws away from her. There's a lot of splashing as she and the snake flail. She bobs up just enough to suck in some air and yell something that was probably a request for help but ended up being all sputtery and incoherent.

With the last of the readily identifiable enemy out of the way, Abigail begins to cover the area, allowing the marines time, she hopes, to be able to focus on the water.

Remi growls as he gets his knife into the snake, but he's looking for more as he continues to drive into the creature's body, attempting to rip open the snake. "Maybe it's weaker from the inside!" he calls out to Cate. As if that makes sense.

The Cylon Lyn was targeting takes a shot dead to the abdomen with a sparking and spitting of damaged parts. Then another volley from the evac team finishes obliterating it, and the remaining toaster. "Three cylons down. Looks clear! Looks clea..." She cuts off mid sentence as she turns around and sees Mother Frakking Snakes on Her Mother Frakking squadmates. "Oh I don't THINK so!" She growls, as she moves towards the stream and fires a furious shot into the critter on the other snake.

Remi rolls Melee (8 6 5 5 4 4 3 2 1 1) vs snake (a NPC)'s 6 (8 7 7 5 4 3 2 1)

Marginal Victory for snake.

Gustavo rolls Melee (8 7 6 3 3 2 2 1 1) vs Snake (a NPC)'s 6 (8 7 6 4 4 4 3 1)

DRAW!

"Sorry, just a chin on the chin." Tavo's finger strokes the trigger of his SAW, sending a short burst into the sniper's triangle on his Cylon target, and then he swings the heavy weapon down on its sling as the robot collapses, clearing his hands as he reaches the brawl around the edge of the water. "Get away from him, you bastard." He reaches out with both hands, aiming to get a grip on the snake-thing, but jerks back a touch as he sees a rifle leveling toward it, staying out of Lyn's line of fire, but failing to get a solid grasp.

With the drop of the Centurion, the Praetorian draws herself out another step. She scans the treeline again, but now it appears that the majority of the focus is on the water creature. They do not need another one in the pool, so instead Rothschild just keeps her focus on the treeline. She steps out slowly more into view in order to get a better angle all around the area, leaving the safety of the Raptor's cover.

With other more qualified people helping with the snake, Aldrich resists the urge to do more than glance worriedly back before his attention turns fully to the injured Walker. Free of the water, he shrugs out of his pack and then gets to work to keep at least one person alive for now.

Lyn rolls Firearms+5 (6 6 6 5 4 4 4 3 2 2 2 1 1) vs Snake (a NPC)'s 6 (8 6 4 4 4 2 2 1)

Marginal Victory for Lyn.

Remi rolls Melee+5 (8 8 8 8 7 7 4 4 3 2 2 2 1 1 1) vs Snake (a NPC)'s 6 (8 8 7 7 6 4 3 1)

Marginal Victory for Remi.

Cate rolls Firearms (6 6 3 2 2 2 1) vs Snake (a NPC)'s 6 (8 7 6 4 4 4 4 2)

Marginal Victory for Snake.

Gustavo rolls Melee+5 (8 7 7 6 5 4 2 2 2 2 1 1 1 1) vs Snake (a NPC)'s 6 (6 6 5 4 2 1 1 1)

Victory for Gustavo.

Tavo shifts his strategy, loosing his tenuous grip on the thing's head, and grasping hold of its tail when it slithers after Rooker once more. The big man twists, grunting in pain from a collection of nasty bruises and his wounded arm, and hurls the snake-thing up out of the water to flop it down on the bank, "Hit it!"

"As. If. Toasters. Aren't. Bad. Enough!" Lyn grits out, one angry word at a time. As Tavo pulls the beast out of the water, she fires into its exposed belly and it dies in quivering convulsions of slithery, snappy, death throes. She lowers her weapon, panting, eyes wide. Clearly it has been a very, very rough day for the Ghost and her squad.

Driving his blade into the snake's side several times, Remi growls. "Once you're dead, I'm going to learn to make boots, just so I can make boots for everyone from your hide." he rumbles angrilly, his combat knife flashing and bringing up more blood and foaming the water before he draws in several breaths as he shoves the body to the side as he moves to assist Cate. "You a'ight?" he asks gruffily, the Tauran in his voice thick.

After Remi's knife causes the snake to let out an almost metallic-sounding scream, it goes limp and Cate is able to push it off of herself. With his help, she gets her feet under her and comes up with the gasp of a drowning person. Sagging against Remi, she coughs and sputters, not able to answer just now. She doesn't seem too bad off, though there's a long gash on her forearm dripping blood into the water.

"Frak. Medic!" Remi calls out, forgetting the snake to easily lift Cate and cradle her in his arms to move her to shore, the large man protecting her before he kneels on the shore. He has some .. as in the most basic of training, and he's not even sure where to begin with the injury on the woman's arm.

Lyn moves to help one of the wounded get into the Raptor, then stands guard beside the open hatch waiting for the rest to get inside. She nods to each of the rescue crew in gratitude as they pass. Once every member of her squad is on board, she climbs wearily in after them. She says quiet words of encouragement to each of her injured marines before she moves off to a corner of the bus. She slides down to sit on the floor and looks like she's deep in thought. Her lips are pressed into a tight line, and she pulls from her pocket what looks like a photo of her parents and younger brother, taken in happier times. She murmurs something to it under her breath, and tucks it away, before hunching over to grab some shut eye on the flight back to the Vanguard.

Once Lyn blasts the thing, Tavo notes, "That's... that's not just snake. Somebody tag it again and bag it. Brass will want to see it." And then he's splashing into the water to help Rooker and Martinez out, trusting to Rothschild, Abigail, and the others to cover them.

Abigail finally risk moving from position, as she hears the call for a medic. Which she isn't, but she's close enough to grab the kit in the raptor and, slinging her rifle over her shoulder, head in the direction of the water. She tosses it t the closest person who looks competent, unless of course, that person is her. In which case...sorry Cate.

The call for the medic has Rothschild turning her head back toward the madness on the bank. She grimaces slightly at the sight of the dead creature, but then offers a simple nod. "I can assist." She adjusts the strap of her weapon, letting it fall back alongside her as she approaches Cate and Remi. She notes that Abigail grabs a kit, and she nods. "It's been a while," she confesses as she holds out her hand for the kit so she can start doing what she can, even if she is still trying to drum up unused skills.

Remi rolls Medicine: Failure (5 4 3 3)

Rothschild rolls Medicine: Failure (3 2 2 1 1)

Aldrich rolls Medicine: Failure (5 4 4 3 3 2)

Gustavo rolls Medicine: Success (8 6 5 3 2)

Abigail rolls Medicine: Good Success (8 7 7 5 4 2 1)

Aldrich glances over when someone calls for a medic, but Cate is less injured than the person he's trying to help right now... So he just calls over, "Make sure she can breathe, and get some pressure on that wound!" And then he's back to trying to help Walker, who is waaay beyond Aldrich's training, but he's giving it his best. Where's Eli when you need him?

Cate curls up, cradling her arm. "I'm all right," she finally coughs out. Spitting some water on the ground, she wheezes and coughs again. "Just give me a dressing and help the others."

"Hey Doc, you know the medic isn't supposed to get hurt, right?" With everyone out of the water now, he goes back to the snake-thing that Lyn finished off, pulls out his pistol and puts two in its head. Just to be sure. Then it gets hauled back to the Raptor, and he notes to Rothschild, "Don't say I never got you anything." There's a pause, then, lower, "Might want to keep a gun on it."

Rothschild makes a disgusted face at Tavo as he hauls the snake up to the Raptor. "You cannot be serious about bringing that back up to the Vanguard." She shakes her head at Tavo, and then she offers Cate the dressings as asked. She will wait for Cate to begin to dress her own wounds before she starts to help loading up the Raptor again.

Abigal, as Rothchild leaves, will kneel, half in, half out of the water, moving to attempt to take the bandages from Cate's hand, "I'll get those, Doc." She waggles her brows, "I can even get you a good deal on some morpha." Of course, she'd actually need to get into Cate's pack, probably to get it, but hey! It could happen.

Cate looks up at Tavo, her teeth doing an odd mix of being gritted and chattering all at once. "Frak, why didn't anyone ever tell me that before." She nods her thanks to Abigail as the other woman comes over to help. Since Rothschild and Aldrich are helping the more badly-off guys, she doesn't feel so bad about accepting help now. "Thanks." She's just going to veg out for a bit on morpha, don't mind her.

"I haven't seen anything like this before." Tavo shrugs at Rothschild, then nods to Cate, "Well, now you know." He tries to resist, he really does, and then he utters the tagline from the Scorpian children's show, "And knowing is half the battle." Looking back to the unwounded or lightly wounded, he glances over the clearing, "We'll stay back from the water, set up on this edge of the clearing so the next bird can drop right in front of us. I want a full perimeter."

Abigail will get Cate stable, with the medic's own help, and then help her to a spot of relative safety on the bank. Once she's carefully settled and under guard, Abigail will come to her feet, getting her rifle back into position and moving out to fix the perimeter, as instructed.


Tags:

Back to Scenes